Thursday 24 July 2008

24 Degrees

I went to London yesterday for the 24 degrees project based at The Royal Court.

I was probably the least experienced person there. It felt like everyone else considered themselves very professional. In short, I seemed a bit like a stuffed whale that had gone along for the ride. Thinking about work I have done… productions: 0, plays: 4, workshops: 3 (and one doesn’t count as it was at uni), experience: 0.

Firstly they went about the room and asked everyone to pinpoint one play/TV/film they had watched and why. I think I was the only person who said I liked to be entertained. I chose My Name is Earl for no reason other than its dead good. There was one other fella who liked Robin Williams’s films. I thought he was cool.

Secondly we were made to watch Funland, a BBC drama that actually looked watchable. It was written by someone who wrote The League of Gentlemen and Eastenders. Apart from being a shameless plug. It was a no accounts barred view of what they wanted.

We were then allocated into groups and instructed to talk about “our” city. My city being Nottingham, where I have never lived, nor where I know. I’ve lived in Leicester all my life. I had nothing to contribute.

Most people there had not even heard of Leicester.

3 comments:

Lucy Ann Wade said...

How come you had to be from Nottingham? Laura Lomas is from Nottingham, so surely she should have gotten that place? Leicester is great - raise the flag!

morphean ramble said...

cunts

nottingham is a dump, and for some reason appears to be so bright and shiny that poor old Leicester is caught in the whiteout.

Perhaps it's cos we don't go round shooting each other on a regular basis. Whatever. Twats

andallthatcouldhavebeen said...

its supposed to be a tale of 6 regions with 1 main city in the middle of it or something. It's Plymouth, Nottingham, Glasgow, Cardiff, Hull and Belfast, so you're a bit screwed if you're from Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Dublin, Leicester or Edinburgh